Friday, March 19, 2010

testing

So this weekend is testing weekend. Isabella will be testing for her camo belt tonight. We seem to have gotten over her fear of sparring as she has been asking to spar everyday since our talk with Mr. Teboe. I don't know what it is about children that makes them believe everyone but their parents, but in this case I'm glad it worked.

I would have been testing for my green belt on Saturday morning if it weren't for the injury. Isabella continues to say "I wish you wouldn't have done the tournament" as I reassure her that I'm ok and will get through this. I am trying to look on the bright side. As long as Isabella's testing goes well, we'll be working on the same material. She will learn that sometimes in life stuff just happens and our response not only shapes who we are, but tells us where we're going. She'll learn a valuable lesson in perseverance and hard work. I'll have time to review all of the old forms and one steps to help down the road, and I'll now have a nice little group of camo belts to work with in class...once I get back there.

I have had this quote posted on my laptop for awhile now, but it has gained a new relevance this week.

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. --John Wooden"
I can't test this weekend, go to TKD or cardio class in the traditional sense, do much in the way of chores around the house, ride my bike... but I can continue to be there for my family and friends to cheer them on, and have a good attitude. One of the beautiful things about TKD is that it is on our timeline. So, I am a camo belt a little longer than expected. In the grand scheme of things that is really not a big deal. I am not in a race and have no ego to stroke. I'll just have taken a step back to traditional karate where you watched for months before even being allowed to join the class. Sometimes those are some of the most valuable moments we can have.

1 comment: