Monday, May 3, 2010

surgery part I

Wow, surgery. Where do I start?

Friends of ours from down the street were so wonderful to offer to take Little I in and get her on the bus with their kids the morning of surgery. I will never be able to express to them how much this meant for us. To know that she was in good hands and going to have a fun morning before school, complete with chocolate chip pancakes too, made it alot easier for Big K and I to head to the hospital with less to worry about. Little I was such a trooper! She woke up, put her clothes on and got in the car. We dropped her off and I could tell that she was a little nervous. She was quiet and kept her head down as we tucked her in on the couch. I tried to be strong and positive for her. It was hard. I gave her a big hug and kiss and told her that I would see her later. I didn't want to leave her, but we had to go. Off we went.

It was still dark when we got to the hospital and I took my last Tylenol before surgery. I checked in and they called us back within a few minutes. It is kind of nice being in the first round of surgeries for the day. Doctors and nurses started to come in for their shifts as they were prepping me. I got the anti-nausea pill and the nurse took the water from my hand with a "just enough to swallow the pill smile". They placed the Velcro sticky strip on my head to prep me for anesthesia. It is supposed to measure your brain waves to make sure they regulate all of the meds properly, but all I know is that it hurts since they just mashed sticky Velcro onto my head. And of course Big K takes a picture for me to have as a keepsake. He was good at taking pictures to help me document the big day-even when I didn't want him too!

Everyone was very nice at the hospital. Even sneezy who ended up being my fellow. I saw him sneeze when he came in and then couldn't stop thinking about how he sneezed into his hands and then I never saw him wash his hands. This was not helping my anxiety level, but luckily they started the IV, rolled me down the hall and into the operating room. I got onto the new "bed" and goodnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment